[f_minor] Gould and Rachmaninoff

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Jul 16 12:00:56 EDT 2010

Couperin played by Glenn Gould?  Who had no inclinations to play in 18th
century French style (and not much comfort with Italian style, either)?
  That would be interesting to hear, once......  :)

Gould's tendency toward _sui generis_ interpretations was both his
strength and his weakness.  He did imaginative things that disregarded
convention, style, historical knowledge, and the surviving documents
from 18th century pedagogy.  He basically re-composed the music to suit
himself, to fit his own ideas, changing whatever instructions he didn't
care to follow.

Well...it's possible to produce imaginative and immaculately-prepared
interpretations that *do* go through all the homework first, and that
respect what we know of the composer's own approach, as a base line.  To
embrace Gould's work, one has to set that aside and pretend that it
doesn't matter; just let him do whatever he wanted, and treat his
irresponsibility as some kind of virtue.  As a listener, I used to allow
Gould more leeway in that regard than I do now.  When I listen to him
now, it just seems to me that he didn't care to get it right, and that
bothers me.

Brad Lehman