[f_minor] Gould Meets Haydn / Streisand

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:47:43 EDT 2010

Oh what a relief that someone else gives a flying ----  about Gould's Haydn. I have already begged anyone here who can get their hands on a copy of "Gould's Remarkable Haydn Series" Piano Quarterly Vol. 31 no. 121 Winter 1982-83 by Joseph Banowetz to please send me a photocopy. I'll pay postage...I'll send you a free cd of whatever you want (within reason) in return. No, that's going too far. I offer a free cd of Gerard Lesne and Ensemble Il Seminario musicale recorded at Basilique Saint-Hippolyte, Thonon-les-Bains, Haute-Savoie, France, April 1988 "Musique Sacree pour Contralto, Cordes et Basse Continue" in fair trade for a copy of the Joseph Banowetz article. You'll just have to twig the composer and the compositions.

 People crow and crow ('cause it's facile?) that Gould rerecorded The Goldberg Variations ... well hang on "just a doggone minute" (Gouldian speak); Gould revisited Haydn first with his "slowhand" technique and I'm so glad that he did. What gorgeous play he has to offer; this is really a sublime Gould who feels at home with the composer. Haydn had all the moves that Gould could respect and bounce off of. It sort of drives me crazy with jealousy. I have to laugh out loud in pleasure and utter ... what is it exactly? Agreement? Amusement? Fulfillment.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu5VDjRKmA&NR=1

  As for what Gould had in mind for "Barbra", he laid his cards on the table: from High Fidelity Magazine May 1976 "Streisand As Schwarzkopf" by Glenn Gould:

  http://barbra-archives.com/bjs_library/70s/high_fidelity_1976.html

This is the second time I have submitted the Gould-Streisand article to F Minor.

Mary Jensen