[f_minor] Gould's Remarkable Haydn

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 1 23:22:51 EDT 2010

Huh? Somebody nodding at me?

Kurt Weill's "September Song" is from the 1930s Broadway musical "Knickerbocker Holiday," and his librettist was the Pulitzer-Prizewinning playwright and screenwriter Maxwell Anderson.

You've stolen my thunder! I'm preparing a blog post about a Huge Event in the Kurt Weill Universe -- a rare Broadway-quality production of Weill's 1943 musical/operetta "One Touch of Venus," at the Shaw Theatre Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. It runs through 10 October.

For this one -- a museum statue of Venus comes alive and falls in love with an Average Joe -- the book is by the humorist S.J. Perelman, who wrote Marx Brothers screenplays, and the librettist is poet Ogden Nash. Marlene Dietrich turned it down as too vulgar, which gave the Venus role to young Mary Martin. The show includes the Weill tomantic standard "Speak Low" and the show-stopper "I'm a Stranger Here Myself."

Here's "Venus" in rehearsal, Weill at the piano, the legs are Mary Martin's, and I think the woman in the middle is Weill's wife Lotte Lenya.

Bob