[f_minor] John Sankey's MIDI treasury of Byrd's compositions

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 10:45:25 EDT 2010

Be gentle with me, Brad!

In your world, Byrd and his compositions, and live and recorded performers
banging them out on ancient pre-piano keyboards, are as common as Coca-Cola
and store-brand aspirin.

On my planet, Elizabethan composers more resemble unicorns and hens' teeth.
I've just never heard any of these delightful pavans and galliards before.

More embarrassing, I wouldn't know a pavan or a galliard if it mugged me in
an alley. You're teaching graduate seminars, and I just signed up for an
on-line learn-in-your-spare-time course offered by the University of
Southern North Dakota @ Hoople.

Yes, there's a touch of the mechanical megalomaniac to Mr. Sankey's huge
MIDI museum. It sure ain't Gould playing.

But I admire his efforts to preserve and distribute (to contort a phrase
Ives used) The Songs Our
Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers Loved.

And now to important business: Hope you, and All, are having a great summer.
Has anyone heard from Mary Jo? Should I put her face on a milk carton?

Bob of The Great Unwashed
(Member since 1971)