[f_minor] John Sankey's MIDI treasury of Byrd's compositions

Houpt, Fred fred.houpt at rbc.com
Thu Aug 19 11:37:51 EDT 2010

Hi Brad and all,

I have stayed out of this discussion because I have been busy, but I
just wanted to throw a few words in here.  What I find interesting is
that European music took that long to find a composer who could invent,
as Brad says, solo keyboard music.  In India, for a pertinent example,
solo instrument music has been around for at least 2000 years or more.
How odd that their music evolved in a very complex and elaborate way and
it took Europeans a very long time to realize the musical potentials of
solo instrument writing....which led eventually to
construction/invention of bigger, stronger and more acoustically robust
instruments.  We went from simple hammered dulcimers, harps,
harpsichords all the way up to monster concert Grand Bossendorfers!  How
odd again that Indian musical instruments have remained, by and large,
mostly unchanged....

Kind regards,

Fred Houpt