[f_minor] cheer up

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Wed Sep 1 19:44:52 EDT 2010

Hello Karl,

I agree, let's try to make it more Gould related.

The passage you are referring to is on page 425 and it's about the 5th
sonata by Scriabin. Gould also played the 3rd, but unfortunately didn't
finish the complete set. Ruth Laredo had just finished hers and that is,
if I remember correctly, one of the reasons Gould lost interest.
Sviatoslav Richter apparently said that the 5th was the most difficult
piece in the repertoire (again quoting Bazzana). Since I haven't played
any of them, I can't say anything for certain, but I would think that
some of the others, for example the 7th or 8th, are also VERY hard to
play (works which to my knowledge Richter didn't play). Bazzana refers
to Andrew Kazdin's log, which indicates a numbers of takes at the really
taxing end of the sonata. It's safe to say he had to redo them because
of technical problems rather than trying out different musical ideas.

Kevin Bazzana has attested that it is possible to complete Gould's sound
choreographed project of this work (it was recorded the same way as the
Sibelius sonatinas, with four differently placed microphone pairs). He
has also offered to oversee the edit himself. Too bad Sony hasn't shown
any interest so far.

I'm not certain I would agree with the author's assessment that the
performance is "tepid". I think it has a remarkable rhythmic drive and
clarity. What Gould does lack is the power in the big climax. This would
have been a problem for him in other late-romantic works, for example
the Rachmaninov third. This is not to say it wouldn't have been very
interesting to hear what Gould would have done with such a work. It
would have been like no other interpretation... On the same page Kevin
Bazzana also mentions Gould making mistakes (during sound test) in
Strauss' "Burleske", a work which is among the most difficult for piano
and orchestra.

Regards,
Jorgen