[f_minor] And A Happy Birthday To Gould

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 21:45:35 EDT 2010

Hej,

It's already turned Sunday 26th where I am (memo to self: must vote before 11:00) but where a lot of you are it's still Glenn Gould's 78th birthday.

"Guess what happened to me today?"

Saturday evening September 25th "La Nuit des Musees", I attended a concert of chamber music played on instruments from the 19th century and a Paul McNulty fortepiano. After the concert I walked to my bus stop and found a man waiting there with a tuba case in tow. We spoke, as one will do, and to my utter astonishment it turned out that he is from Winnipeg and plays with The Salvation Army Band. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather. Far far away from Canada there he stood waiting for a bus - an unwitting recipient of Gould's posthumous largesse (I assume he receives some sort of salary). Of course I spoke to him of the Glenn Gould 50/50 "unfortunate people and unfortunate animals" last will and testament about which he knew nothing at all. Strange that.

I listened to Haydn played on a fortepiano earlier this evening in a small room with parquet floor and wooden ceiling (an unfortunate honey bee happened to be trapped inside with us, flying from chandelier to chandelier) and the gorgeous perfume of wood wax-oil in my nostrils. I'm listening to Gould's Haydn The Six Last Sonatas now and there's no question that Haydn would have played this double lp over and over again and would have wanted more. I really wish there was more.

We're always making plans for Glenn Gould.

Mary Jensen