[f_minor] Glenn Gould: Homo telefoniens

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:36:35 EDT 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKWDwpcXE8&feature=related

Your phone rings late at night but it's not a family emergency, it's Gould. Some bloody nerve.

There's not much to be gleaned from the 'new' Gould film on GG's loquaciousness. There's not a lot to be gleaned at all. The film skims flat stones across calmed waters and it seems to me that the whole point
of the exercise was to elucidate Gould's heterosexuality.

As for Gould and Twitter and the rest: Don't you get it? He loved the human voice. Loved it so much that he sought out trunk lines. Loved it long distance as well as whispered into his weirdly formed right ear. The man was so utterly attuned to sound that it makes me outraged at the nonsense people are trying to make of his 'philosophy', trying to turn it all into some early IT gospel.

Gould had more in common with Cocteau than with Ballmer.

Mary Jensen