[f_minor] Glenn Gould Bach and the Voyager leaving our Solar System

pzumst pzumst at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 14 20:53:42 EST 2010

G'day all

Now just check this for a laugh, I can't even grasp it myself, correct me if I'm wrong. In astronomy, distances are measured in au or astronomical units,  1 au is roughly the distance from the Earth to the Sun, around 149 million km. Both Voyagr spacecrafts have travveled ca 115 au with a speed of around 3 au per year. It is my understanding that astronomers still argue on where Instersellar Space starts, 230'000 au should do it. At around 271'000 au you wuld find the next star.  According to JPL both crafts should have enegry untill ca 2025 to broadcast scientific data. At least in theory they could reach Alpha Centauri in around 40'000 years or so.

No need to feel small and insignificant, but proud that we have achieved something so phenomenal !

Pat