[f_minor] Copyright

Brett Allen-Bayes brettab at ihug.com.au
Thu Dec 23 15:36:32 EST 2010

The reason that copyright expires is because the cut off date is fifty years
after the release of the recording. So the reason that we see the early GG
recordings on other labels (NAXOS etc.) - for example, the Goldbergs  is
because copyright elapsed in 2005, fifty years after its initial release in
1955. This is the reason why the early Callas recordings for EMI are now
being issued on obscure labels and I guess the reason why Stravinsky revised
his earlier work so often. In some countries like Italy the copyright period
is only 20 or 25 years and this is the reason why many 60s pop discs are
available on obscure European labels at bargain prices and have been for
some time. Hope this helps.

  _____