[f_minor] Music and Arts

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Sun Jun 19 03:51:39 EDT 2011

Hello Mary,

I was also confused about the WHRA, but I got an explanation: It's a
"sub-label" to M&A, something like L'oiseau-lyre and Harmonia Mundi.

I don't know about the old M&A releases. I haven't seen any new editions
of these. If someone does know anything more I'd be most interested to
know. Anyway, the new box has nothing to do with these previous M&A
discs, and with a few exceptions contain previously unreleased material.

There are several different sources for these live performances. I know
for example that the Bach Dminor in Sweden was found in a Sweden by a
collector (not me). Which means that the source is a remarkably good
sounding radio dub from the late 50s early 60s (the Swedish Radio
archive does not contain a copy).

I don't think anyone has made a proper investigation of Gould's private
Archive. There were some very early Gould performances aired during the
last GG Gathering, but nothing else has been made public as far as I
know. And I do share Kevin Bazzana's worries. Let's hope someone within
the Gould Estate beings to understand the importance of these holdings
instead of concentrating on the award.  If they don't keep the interest
in the work of GG alive, there won't be a price in a few years' time.

Regarding the WHRA/M&A box there will, as far as I understand it, be a
review in Gramophone and in some other publications as well. I do hope
the sales for the box -- despite the price (which is not so high
considering that there are six discs) -- will be good. Otherwise M&A
might be reluctant to make such an effort again.

If you live in the US I suggest you buy the box from Canada or Europe.
And don't wait too long.

Regards,
Jorgen