[f_minor] [f-minor]: From Kevin Bazzana

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Mon Jun 20 18:29:19 EDT 2011

Hello Mary,

Thanks for the kind words -- not everytime my name is linked with
quotation from "King Lear" :-) This time, though, it really is Kevin
Bazzana who should get the praise. He's still the number one authority
on all things Gouldian and it's a shame that his services aren't used
more frequently. What ever happened to the grand plans for the web site
for example??? Bazzana's two books on Gould are required reading, but
that is something you all know I guess. You should also check out his
excellent biography on the Hungarian pianist Ervin Nyiregyhazi, "Lost
Genius". A more dramatic and strange life would be hard to imagine.

"The Secrect Live Tapes" (Sony 88697723182) does contain the
Brahms/Krips and also the Bach Dminor (fastest ever recording with
Gould) and Schoenberg with Mitropoulos. Perhaps this is an indication
that Sony will keep on reissuing live performances with Gould. Haven't
seen anything on that though. As Kevin Bazzana indicated, Gould reords
are still selling very well and that is always good news for us fans.
Still, I'm very happy that M&A started their Gould involvement again. I
hope it'll force Sony to do something else than just re-releasing the
same old CDs.

Speaking of which I have in my possession five different editions of the
Goldberg 1955. The first(?) CD version from 1988 in the ”The Glenn Gould
Legacy”-series, the "Glenn Gould Edition", ”Birth of a Legend”, an even
later transfer in the "Originals"-series, one Naxos transfer and also
one on Membran. I'm certain there are more out there. I did a quick
comparison and came to the conclusion that the noise reduction on ”Birth
of a Legend” is too intrusive and doesn't preserve the clarity of the
attack as I would wish. The general problem with the 1955 is the rather
prominent background noise. I've come to accept that and now I actually
prefer Naxos's rather noisy but at the same time detailed transfer. Any
other thoughts on this?

As far as the question whether the concert is dead or not, or starting
to show old-age symptoms -- that is a bit more complicated than just a
yes or no. I believe that many, many people still love going to concerts
-- for the music and the wine ;-) --  and that most musicians do earn
much more money playing concerts than selling records. Does this mean
that the best performances are to be heard live??? I would say not
always, and probably less often than a first-class studio recording. I
more often prefer the clarity of thought and emotions from the best
studio performances to the intensity of a live performance. This is
especially true with Gould -- I belong to the category of listeners who
prefers his later work to the things he did in the beginning of his
career. Still, there are exceptions of course, and I'm very happy to be
able to listen to Gould the live artist. I've never been a friend of
"either or".

Another aspect of this Gouldian topic is of course the traditional and
uninspired programming of most concert halls. An average music
enthusiast will only be able to hear concert performances of a fraction
of the standard repertoire. If we move beyond to lesser common works
you'd have to travel far and wide to hear that music performed once in a
lifetime. Those works will most probably be found on a CD instead. In my
personal experience a live concert experience (and I love to go to
concerts, sorry Mr. Gould) is also very hard to keep fresh in your
memory -- I guess some would say that's the very point -- and that is
for me a substantial drawback. Great music and memorable performances of
the same are something that should be enjoyed over and over again.

The Zenph experiment is interesting and I was rather enthusiastic before
listening to the first CD (Goldberg 1955). It was sadly a real
disappointment since the Zenph version didn't have enough similarities
with the original recording. To put it simply, the Zenph performance
lacked clarity and the dynamics was too limited. One of the later CDs --
an Art Tatum disk -- was even worse. I do think the idea behind this
experiment is fascinating, but they need to enhance the resolution of
the copy so to speak.

Regards,
Jorgen