[f_minor] Being Kind and Kevin Bazzana

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Tue Jun 21 18:14:47 EDT 2011

Hello Mary,

I didn't comment on the Ray Roberts part of your message since I don't
have details. Kevin Bazzana on the other hand does:

= FYI, yes it is Ray Roberts who has the "basement of mystery" where so
much Gould material resides (assuming it hasn't finally been moved to
Ottawa)---definitely the recordings kept back by the estate, maybe also
photos and such. (At some point, Bert Gould gave the estate a big trove
of photos, many unique, some of which appeared in the "Life in Pictures"
book---I don't know if these have been put in the Ottawa archive.)
There's nothing "questionable" here; Ray has always had some sort of
official consulting relationship with the GG estate. My point was not
that anyone is doing anything illegal or underhanded, just that by
scholarly/archival standards they are being shockingly cavalier about
some unique and important and priceless material.

= As to Joseph Stephens, just to clarify: he was never really "close" to
Gould, and never claimed he was. They knew each other over a long
period, but it was a not-very-deep telephone relationship, not a close
friendship. JS actually stressed that to me when I chatted with him for
my biography. Stephens and Peter Ostwald are often referred to in the
literature close friends of Gould's, but that was never the
case---Ostwald's conclusions have sometimes been given undue weight for
this reason. His is a good book, but not because of any special,
profound personal access to the subject.

Two other vitally imporant matters:

= I am not "far away and unapproachable"; just lazy and sullen and
reluctant to get involved in most things.

= "Wondrous Strange" is a terrible title but it is all I could come up
with. I came up with it at the very last minute (ie, late on the night
before the deadline for picking a title) while desperately flipping
through Shakespeare, after a fruitless evening spent brainstorming with
my wife. As far as I can tell, everyone on earth loves this title except
me---strange. Incidentally, the original title (same Shakespeare
reference) was "Wondrous Strange Snow", which I actually like better,
esp. with its appropriate "wintery" allusion and more direct connection
to Shakespeare's "hot ice" image, but I let my editor chop off the noun;
by then I was too weary to care. I've written 2 other books and they too
have the same problem: a title that I came up with desperately at the
last minute and that everyone likes except me. If I ever write another
book, I will WRITE THE TITLE FIRST and make sure it's perfect before
proceeding to Page 1.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Jorgen