[f_minor] Gould demolishes and recreates Beethoven's "Appassionata"

f h boyboy_8 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 17:09:17 EDT 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXjM2hrqO54&feature=related

I must admit that I did not realize till just now that I had never heard GG play this Beethoven.  I am struck totally dumb by his interpretation. He has thrown out almost all the time scale markings that Beethoven himself would have published and has completed recreated a different piece.

I am just amazed at what has emerged.  I am just listening to the 1'st movement now as I type this.....as usual GG has shown us completely different textures that are buried in the overly familiar music.  He certainly did break almost every rule of interpretive conduct in this recording.  I will have to listen to more and contemplate what the heck GG had in mind.  Amazing recording...shocking really.

regards,

Fred Houpt