[f_minor] Gould demolishes and recreates Beethoven's "Appassionata"

Kpapademas at aol.com Kpapademas at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 01:45:59 EDT 2011

And Fred, try this one
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUSlM0IXhU&feature=related_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUSlM0IXhU&feature=related)
for more Gouldian Beethoven.

In a message dated 7/30/2011 4:09:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
boyboy_8 at yahoo.com writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXjM2hrqO54&feature=related

I  must admit that I did not realize till just now that I had never heard
GG play this Beethoven.  I am struck totally dumb by his  interpretation. He
has thrown out almost all the time scale markings  that Beethoven himself
would have published and has completed recreated  a different piece.

I am just amazed at what has  emerged.  I am just listening to the 1'st
movement now as I type  this.....as usual GG has shown us completely different
textures that are  buried in the overly familiar music.  He certainly did
break almost  every rule of interpretive conduct in this recording.  I will
have  to listen to more and contemplate what the heck GG had in mind.
Amazing recording...shocking really.

regards,

Fred  Houpt