[f_minor] new CBC website for Glenn Gould

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 22:56:57 EDT 2011

"However, this is a DVD Region 1 set, meaning that if you live in Europe
i.e. these DVDs might not play on your device. There are legal ways to get
around that, depending on the device in question."

I am amazed by such a comment. Any and all self-respecting European cinephiles purchase "multi-zone" dvd players which are readily available at all stores, at least in CH,
at little or no extra expense than a "region 2" player.

North Americans are the public with least access to (or need for) "multi-zone" players. It was the same story with VHS.

As for Gould's "style as a presenter" perhaps now being seen as anachronistic, I doubt it. "Idiosyncrasy will out".

I am reminded of a quote by Rudolf Serkin from Bazzana's 'Wondrous Strange'; recalling a GG radio program Serkin commented:

"He said ridiculous things which made me mad but then at the end he played and everything was all right."

As for how people will react to viewing these long unseen programs: Gouldians, predictable - General Public, no reaction
because they won't buy the collection. Only when the bits and pieces begin appearing on youtube or as dvd rips will one
be able to assess the Gen'l. Public's reception. Kit is as Kit does.

Mary