[f_minor] Prokofiev

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at sundsvall.nu
Thu Sep 29 15:44:29 EDT 2011

Hello Fred,

The link you sent were not Gould playing Prokofiev, but I guess you are
referring to his playing of the second of the Visions Fugitives, or?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_t8QFU3_q4
The performance is part of one of the "Musicamera" programs in the new
DVD-box.

It's either that or his playing of the 7th sonata (one complete
TV-performance and another one of the first movement, but I can only
find the early one on Youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWUy2ut4qxQ
or the earlier recording of the violin/piano arrangement from
"Cinderella". I know of no other Gould recording of Prokofiev's music.

Generally speaking it's very clearly defined, as always with Gould, and
with an exiting rhythmic energy (the sonata). He doesn't have the
intensity or power of Sviatoslav Richter -- my favourite in late
Prokofiev sonatas -- but those are (don't forget his studio recording of
the sonata) excellent and as always with Gould very personal performances.

Both TV-performances of the Prokofiev are also part of the new box.

If you are referring to the Visions Fugitives it's a very slow and very
Scriabinesque version of this piece. I like it all the same.

Regards,
Jorgen