[f_minor] OT: Intro to Classical Music for a young lad ?

Brett Allen-Bayes brettab at ihug.com.au
Mon Dec 5 16:55:12 EST 2011

Dear Pat,

How about the Carl Orff's Schulwerk? There are a couple of versions
available - a 6CD set on RCA and an even better series of 3 discs on
Celestial Harmonies. The Celestial harmonies discs are available separately
and I suggest Vol. 1 is a good place to start (all instrumental pieces).
Vol.2 mixes vocal pieces with Sprechstimme etc whilst building a musical
philosophy and vocab. It is childlike in its sense of wonder and very
approachable without sounding like kid's music. Vol.3 is made up of piano
and violin pieces and as such doesn't offer the unique percussion based
sound world of Orff that we also know through Carmina Burana et al. Also
check out Wikipedia and other sites for the system's philosophy and
background. I hope this helps. You should be able to hear selections at
Amazon and on You Tube.

Good luck,

Brett

  _____