[f_minor] Gould on Richter and other pianists

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Mon Jan 2 04:41:45 PST 2012

Mary, yep, we do indeed. Alas, that parrot is dead. Gone to meet its maker, bereft of life and off to join the choir invisible and I doubt we will see something that brilliant ever again.

Now for summet completely different:
How come Richter The Enigma is rather enjoyable while Hereafter is such a horrible piece of drivel ? Mind you, both were made by the very same director (Bruno Monstagenon) !

Maybe I am a bit thick but I find it strange for someone like GG to praise Richter. Apart from his technique Richter represented everything GG despised about “beingg a pianist”. Tours, audiences, concerts, doing routine pieces, the works.

And while pianists who were playing in the same league as Richter in terms of being “classic” concert pianists (i.e. Horowitz, Rubinstein) , GG praised Richter for his playing and poured mild sarcasm over the likes of the previously mentioned. Call me thick, but I fail to see any logic here. Is this a Pianist Thing we non-pianists don’t get ?

Pat