[f_minor] Gould on Richter and other pianists

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at mypost.se
Mon Jan 2 05:50:36 PST 2012

Hello all,

I think that Gould appreciated Richter's serious attitude towards music,
i.e. his disinclination to make a purely virtuoso performance.
Differently put, Gould appreciated and found a kindred spirit in
Richter's more classical "clean" approach than the distinctly romatic
playing of Horowitz. Also Rubinstein, whom Gould had the highest regard
for (see the interview Gould did with AR, published in the GG Reader;
his satire of Rubinstein's writing in the same volume has I think more
to do with the lifestyle of the pianist than his actual performance),
played -- despite his preference for Chopin -- in a less subjective
virtuoso manner.

The fact the Horowitz is by far the most contrapuntally inclined player
of all three doesn't seem to interest Gould. That Gould felt inclined to
comment Horowitz' return to the stage in "The Hysteric Return" have, I
would suggest, more complex reasons than just a distaste for concert
performance. [The charaterizations are of course simplified; there are
many examples of Horowitz being classically refined and even more
Richter performances with an intensely virirtoso-romantic approach.]

Gould's own performances are rather often closer to the romantic
approach, at least as far as "straying" from the notation is concerned.
One mustn't forget that he is quite often less consistent than his
written and spoken comments might suggest.

"The Enigma" is a true documentary masterpiece -- anyone not having seen
it should do so! The success of this film is largely due to the
interviews with Richter himself. And these were difficult to orchestrate
since Richter was a very difficult person to deal with. Monsaingeons
best films about GG are those were Gould took part himself. It seems
Monsaingeon needs the input of and the problems dealing with the
subject-matter in the flesh to make a truly inspired documentary.

All the best for 2012!

/Jorgen

Ps. Let's hope these artists have put all the differences aside and
together "joined the choir invisible".