[f_minor] Scriabin

Houpt, Fred fred.houpt at rbc.com
Tue Jan 31 12:47:16 PST 2012

I for one did not compare Scriabin to Bach and it would seem to me a useless exposition.  Bach was entirely wonderful and is without a doubt a pillar of the Western canon of art.  Scriabin was not but that doesn't reduce him to poverty and disuse.  He has his place and in my view he is best viewed as a moderately important romantic Russian, who stands (in my view) below Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff.

As for berating, people do so when in fact it's just an opinion.  We all know we're just expressing an opinion...there are no absolute rights or wrongs in musical appreciation.

Fred Houpt