[f_minor] Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould

Carl D. Patterson carldpatterson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 01:46:59 PDT 2012

Hi,

I own a copy of the Columbia Tristar version of 32 that I bought from Amazon.com in 1995. The disc is a little strange in that it is double sided. Side A has the 1.85:1 version and Side B is the 4:3 version.

I've just looked at a section of the film and have taken a few photos:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyLbvpN

It looks as if the film was made in 4:3 ratio and that the 16:9 ratio version is just the 4:3 zoomed in. If you watch the full 'widescreen' version you'll be missing parts of the top and bottom of the frame. If you watch the square 4:3 version you'll be seeing the full frame, as the director intended, but you'll have black bars.

At least with the copy that I have you have a choice. We'll just have to see what the re-issue is like.

Carl