[f_minor] Sartorial Interlude

Robert Merkin bobmerk at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 17:25:45 MST 2013

Maryellen, you're giving John Waters awfully short shrift. I'll only say he made the movie "Pink Flamingos" (1972). But this odd thing launched 40 years of brilliant, outrageous, often banned movies (all filmed in Baltimore, Maryland USA) but went viral around the planet (typically at rowdy midnight showings).

"Polyester" (1981) was released in Odorama -- each patron got a card with big numerals on it, and when a particular number flashed on the screen overlayed on the plot, the audience scratched the number, and the theater filled with a surprise stench. (You can still see "Polyester," but you can never smell it again -- I think they ran out of the Odorama cards long ago.)

Indeed, "kempt" is either on the endangered list or fully extinct.

But "unkempt" is still healthily a part of every English-speaker's vocab. We seem to keep a much closer eye on the unkempt around us than we do on the kempties.

Bob
Massachusetts USA