[f_minor] Gould and problem-solving

Karl Brown kbrown at physics.carleton.ca
Fri Feb 22 09:07:01 MST 2013

Jorgen et al,

I concur, Katie Hafner's "A Romance on Three Legs" is a great read"

A question if I may ...

If Mr. Gould was such a perfectionist, then why did he accept the
repeated "hiccups" (as named by Mr. Gould himself) on many of his
recordings?
Prior to noticing them, I was very content with many of his recordings,
I especially love the clarity he brings to them etc. but since paying
particular attention to and finding these hiccup's I find them to be
unfortunate and as a result I am becoming uncomfortable (to be honest)
and can't find a reason as to why Mr. Gould would have accepted them to
be released as part of his recording.
I first noticed this while listening to his Scriabin/Prokofiev, Track
#1, Scriabin, Dramatico @ 07:42. The hiccup is as clear as a bell yet he
was accepting of it just the same.
Can someone provide an explanation?

Thanks in advance,