[f_minor] Kazdin and the post-future of Listening

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Fri Jun 28 08:46:53 MDT 2013

Dear list

A reply to Mary’s recent post

NOT as Pat Zumst commented: Kazdin's book is just the cashing in of someone who drove the band bus for years ... nor as Anne Marble commented that Andrew Kazdin is just a bitter grouch.
Yes. And no. Kazdin’s book is noteworthy because he is one of the few people who said that he had difficulties with Mr. Gould and he said so in public. I reckon GG was not always an nice bloke (especially if you didn’t play by his rules). These were not just the remblings of the bloke what drove band bus. This book also shows a darker side of Mr Gould and if my memory is correct Kazdin did not have a problem with GG as an artist per se but with him as a human being, his manierisms and the fact that suddenly he was dropped like an old shoe. This is maybe a personal thing, but I don’t like the idea of people washing their dirty laundry in public and make a few quid out of it, especially since at the time of writing one of the participants was dead and could hardly defend himself (Mr Kazdin is also no longer amongst us for that matter). One could say similar things about Mr. Oswald. I am definetly not in favour of Hagiography, but critique in art and personality are two different things. Or maybe I’m just stupid.

This madness circulating about Gould predicting or creating "the mash-up culture" is such a load of red bulging bullocks that I swear I shall become really truly obscene on the matter. GET A GRIP.

Hm, I like the terminology of red bulging bullocks .

Yes, to an extent as to the same extent as Stockhausen and Pierre Scheffer *could* be seen as the great-grandfathers of electronic music and Marshall McLuhan predicted the internet, but only so far, and this is where Mary might be right. Yet there is no denial that his experiments with contrapunctual radio (the opening trio to IoN springs to mind and please ask yourself when you last heard such a thing as “contrpunctual radio”) *could* be seen as steps in that direction, his mentioning in an interview with John Culshaw that he could have released 24 different versions of the same Beethoven Sonata and his essays on recording etc. The fact that he muses in one of his articles on how much fun it would be to be able to enhance the listening experience by hearing for example Mahlers 1st with the first movement from Bernstein, the second from Walter and so on lets us shrug and create a playlist in iTunes in a few seconds. So to an extent Mary is right, but if Sony gives us the opportunity to feed some wav files into a multitrack digital audio workstation and The Foundation might provide a sort of kit for us to tinker with, I am all for it because there is a certain GG feel to it not even Mary can deny.

Pat