[f_minor] and I swore I wouldn't

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 12:53:57 MDT 2013

Peter Glenister and Nuncle Pat thanks for braving the melting European heatwave ("Fright X" on the sidewalks is an understatement) with your correspondence.

I'm amazed no one has "pulled me up" on my spelling "renown" with the Special K - which is wrong.

Such fun with Tom Lehrer (didn't he also do that brilliant anti-Christmas tune sung so lyrically by Christopher Hitchens?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJ0mo0r3zs

...but

"Alma soon became resentful that, on Mahler's insistence that there could
 only be one composer in the family, she had given up her music studies.
 She wrote in her diary: "How hard it is to be so mercilessly deprived
of ... things closest to one's heart". Mahler's requirement that their married life be organised around his
creative activities imposed strains, and precipitated rebellion on
Alma's part; the marriage was nevertheless marked at times by
expressions of considerable passion, particularly from Mahler."  That's a Wikipedia quote.

You'll remember Cornelia Foss complaining of the same sort of "prohibition" thrown up against the pursuance of her own art because of some weird edict issued by Glenn Gould... the same sort of "You're here for me" mentality of Mahler.  (So Cornelia left. So Alma found other avenues.)

To be 100% honest I still cannot figure out exactly whether Gould's "review" of de la Grange's "Mahler Volume One" was written tongue in cheek or not...but then again Gould was a Past Master at "passive/aggressive" behaviour in his personal/professional life. Of course he was always right, right? (il avait toujours raison...) Ha ha ha.

Another "Alma" (old Manzanera-Eno stuff) but also try out "Miss Shapiro" and "Big Day" all you modern  Brian Eno fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnSGwiZmAA

Hell, it's summer
Mary