[f_minor] Russian Journey Re-Release on DVD/BluRay

Pat pzumst at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 9 16:06:59 MDT 2013

Dear all

Summer is over, the Gouldian Season is upon us, the time of year when the sky is battleship grey, the general mood is f_minor and I have no doubt that by the end of the month I have to wear clothes similar to Mr Gould’s year-in, year-out outfit.

This is also the time of gouldian re-(re-re-re-re-re-re-)releases and so far the harvest is average. But there is one item I found that might be of interest to some of you.

The documentary “Russian Journey” is to be released on DVD and BluRay at the end of the month, here is the DVD listing at amazon.co.uk:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-Russian-Journey-DVD/dp/B00EPRIV5K/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1378763189&sr=1-2&keywords=glenn+gould

and here the BluRay version:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-Russian-Journey-Blu-ray/dp/B00EPRITPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1378763315&sr=1-1&keywords=glenn+gould

Amazon central is also selling this title. Please note however that according to the UK site info the DVD has no country restrictions while the BluRay is A/1 only, which I find a bit odd.

It is my understanding that this is not a “legit” Sony reelease, which raises a few interesting questions when it comes to these matters. Not that I am taking the side of Sony, but just in general.

This also was a very important event in the career of Mr Gould and without a doubt a large part that helped to build the “legend” of Mr. Gould and an interesting part of his hagiography. It must have been summet like Beatlemania at times and I often wonder how Mr. Gould thought about that. Even with his alleged distate for touring he must have loved parts of this strange journey.

It is also my understanding that this is/was difficult to find at times so I reckon this is a no-brainer for any hardcore GG fan.

Pat