[f_minor] 81 and counting

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at mypost.se
Fri Sep 27 09:35:25 MDT 2013

Hello Pat,

I don't know if you can draw any conclusions by the lack of messages on
F minor. The decline in activity on the group has been apparent for
quite some years now. Also the number of regularly active members is
quite low. I don't know how active other GG groups are -- Facebook,
Yahoo etc -- so I can't say if this just F minor.

I don't think that Gould was ever a true role-model for other pianists.
He was just too individual and had abilities that prevented anyone from
taking after him. The same with Horowitz and several others. The sad
truth -- as far as I can judge -- is that the classical world is far
more conservative and homogeneous now than during Gould's heydays. There
are far less strong personalities now than it was 30 or 40 years ago
(the 1980s was really a bad decade for classical music; so many of the
greats died during those ten years). Having said that, Gould does seem
to sell and being talked about still. Otherwise I don't think that Sony
would have issued the impressive DVD box and Bach collection. Just
recently BBC Music Magazine named Gould's 1955 Goldbergs the fourth best
recording of all time and the first solo piano album in that list
(Schnabel's Beethoven comes first on 16th place). So I don't think he's
forgotten.

The fact that Sony-BMG finally published a generous collection of
Vladimir Horowitz' previously unreleased live recitals, and did a great
job in restoring them, does indicate that there's still a chance that we
might see unreleased Gould material on CD and DVD. I think it all
depends on the sales of the above mentioned boxes, and also if there's
someone at Sony-BMG who is working for this to happen. The problem might
be that the later unreleased studio material is mostly unrelated single
movements (Beethoven Scarlatti etc). Do correct me if I'm wrong.  There
are on the other hand quite a lot of earlier studio recordings which
would give us some CDs worth of new material. I'm a little worried that
the Goldberg Deluxe box (with outtakes from the Goldberg 1981) seems to
have been withdrawn and that the DVD "Why Mozart Became..." doesn't seem
to have been realized yet. And I'm still waiting for a DVD with video
outtakes from the Goldberg 1981... Any information on that or any coming
release will be greatly appreciated. Generally speaking, Sony could do
better as far as giving us fans more advance information.

Speaking of information, any news on the upcoming Gould website? It is
supposed to contain unpublished recordings and such.

I don't think there's any reason to suggest that more or less historic
recordings don't sell. To judge by the amount of boxes collecting the
works of pianists, singers, conductors, string players the recent three
or four years there must be a demand for older material. But I also do
get a feeling that the increase in these editions suggests that the
labels are trying to get as much out of these productions as possible
before CD sales drop even further. I belong to the physical disk
collecting species, but unfortunately we seem to become fewer and fewer
in numbers. I hope I'm wrong.

Regards,
Jorgen