[f_minor] 81 and counting

Anita Monroe rubatoatm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 08:59:21 MDT 2013

Pat,

Yes, he is still relevant to pianists.  Although he and Horowitz are poles
apart, there are some elements that connect.  Both did not
have "dead" spots in their music.  GG felt every line, although not in a
"romantic" way.  You could say that his focus had multi levels.
This is extremely difficult to do, and that quality is what is missing in
the younger players.  They have technical abilities but they don't
live each line.

A few weeks ago I was watching something on tv about the drama school that
Marilyn Monroe attended in New York, the same one that
trained Marlon Brando and many other actors during the 50's and 60's.  The
director was castigating a young actress as she was pouring
tea in a scene.  "No, no", he screamed, "you are not THERE doing it".  This
the crux of it.  You have to be "THERE" in every line, otherwise
the sound is dead.  It's a mental trick that some people can learn and
there are ways to do it.  For myself, I have developed that ability in
some pieces, but not enough to make me a professional...  Schnabel had it
all the time, or almost all the time. One of the people who trained him was
an opera singer who taught him the living flow of lines.  She did a good
job.

Fondly,
Anita