[f_minor] Glenn Gould's humming

Elaine Parks elaine19c at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 19 18:07:15 MST 2015

I like the humming too, and it's so interesting that he sometimes sounds
out of key!

I noticed that some current classical performers make odd harrumphing
breathing noises while performing (I witnessed this in a pianist and a conductor)
and I am wondering if our tolerance for GG's extra sounds on record could have
encouraged these fellows in this regard. Or has it become a fashionable
eccentricity to exhibit such noises? In both instances I found it curious
yet unappealing; in the case of the conductor, I left early!!!

Regarding a previous comment about GG's editing his work, my impression was that
he defended the right to edit and loved to play at it for fun to demonstrate a point
but in reality he actually didn't edit his pieces much...at the most tacking on a different
beginning or ending now and then, or replacing a bad note. Anyone agree?

Elaine