[f_minor] Glenn Gould Prize 2015

maryellen jensen maryellenjensen28 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:43:17 MDT 2015

Jorgen,

"What I think is a more relevant question is why the Foundation is
      investing all of their energies into this prize? In 2008 -- seven
      years ago! -- when the magazine ceased to be, there was a promise
      that "new technologies" would bring Gouldiana to us fans. So far
      nothing worth mentioning has happened in that respect. I've been
      under the naive impression that the prize had somehow generated
      funds for what in all honesty should be the real activities of the
      Foundation: preserving, publishing and/or making available of
      Gould's recordings, films and texts. For this you need money --
      and my hope was that the attention of giving these awards to
      famous people has done some good in that respect. Alas it doesn't
      seem that way, or am I mistaken? I very much hope so!

      As for projects, there so much that could be done. Why not publish
      a scholarly edition of ALL of Gould's texts? The best would be if
      they were then available for free on the net, or if that isn't
      possible they should be printed in an annotated edition. There
      still are quite a lot of Gould's recordings which are not
      released, not least his many broadcast performances (some works
      was never recorded commercially). I know of at least one edition
      with these radio performances which has been waiting to be
      released and for some reason hasn't. This is another example where
      the Foundation should be supportive. We are still waiting for the
      Toronto film to be available on DVD, as well as the much discussed
      Mozart documentary."

 Some of us have been banging on about these very things for years now. Many of us are sharing info we find by crawling/trawling the Net and Public Libraries; many are not sharing but are 'hoarding'... Worst of all is the GG Foundation which seems oblivious to anything which doesn't begin and end with some luncheon in some hotel somewhere with photographers present.

Case in point the " How Mozart..." program. No one can tell me that the NYC Paley Centre for Media cannot lend it out to the GG Foundation website for a limited showing. What's the use of the all this web access if everything is off limits? Has the GG Foundation website ever even asked to show it? No, of course not. I'll stop right here before becoming really dreadful to read.

Thank you for your message.
Mary

      I also agree it's interesting to see how F_minor suddenly has
      burst into life. I'm less certain this prize is worthy of such
      attention. This is in no way saying I completely disagree with the
      choices of the recipients. I will state as much that I don't think
      Leonard Cohen should have been given it, and that I'm much less
      critical of this year's recipient.

      What I think is a more relevant question is why the Foundation is
      investing all of their energies into this prize? In 2008 -- seven
      years ago! -- when the magazine ceased to be, there was a promise
      that "new technologies" would bring Gouldiana to us fans. So far
      nothing worth mentioning has happened in that respect. I've been
      under the naive impression that the prize had somehow generated
      funds for what in all honesty should be the real activities of the
      Foundation: preserving, publishing and/or making available of
      Gould's recordings, films and texts. For this you need money --
      and my hope was that the attention of giving these awards to
      famous people has done some good in that respect. Alas it doesn't
      seem that way, or am I mistaken? I very much hope so!

      As for projecs, there so much that could be done. Why not publish
      a scholarly edition of ALL of Gould's texts? The best would be if
      they were then available for free on the net, or if that isn't
      possible they should be printed in an annotated edition. There
      still are quite a lot of Gould's recordings which are not
      released, not least his many broadcast performances (some works
      was never recorded commercially). I know of at least one edition
      with these radio performances which has been waiting to be
      released and for some reason hasn't. This is another example where
      the Foundation should be supportive. We are still waiting for the
      Toronto film to be available on DVD, as well as the much discussed
      Mozart documentary.

      I hope that the GG estate, which does have money, does everything
      they can to help releasing Gould's unpublished work. It would be
      sad if some legal complication made a worthwhile project
      impossible. In the end, even if the writing of the will doesn't
      explicitly say so, shouldn't it be natural for an Estate to help
      spread the name of the bearer of its name.

      Regards,

      Jorgen