[f_minor] GG improv on an interview outtake tacked onto this 1955 C min Variations broadcast

ksenia kkicons at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 06:36:30 MDT 2015

1955 radio broadcast of Sonata #32 C minor followed by surprise interview
outtake
<http://www.cbc.ca/player/RADIO+HOLDING+PEN/Glenn+Gould+-+The+CBC+Legacy/Audio/1950s/ID/2097213832/>

I found this on the CBC website. Does anyone know why it says the
performance was dedicated to author Thomas Mann? It is a perky tempo, and
at a certain point, even the stones would sing.  It left me in enough of a
cozy state by the end that I was quite startled to hear his corny and loud
german accent making a joke about the variations I just heard.

What is he noodling on the piano while he is waiting to set up the
interview, I wonder? I heard GG loved improvising, but I only got to hear
snatches here and there on the programs. So this was a real treat to hear
him play a little while. And I get to play that type of guessing game he
liked on his birthday weekend. The interview is mostly about his composing
plans.--ksenia

--
www.KKIcons.blogspot.com At *KK Icons* Orthodox Iconography, my icons are
traditionally drawn and freshly painted.

I also wrote the illustrated Glenn Gould Poetry Cycles. You can access the
pages from the header bar on the above KKicons website.