[f_minor] John Sankey's MIDI treasury of Byrd's compositions

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Thu Aug 19 07:44:32 EDT 2010

I listened to "Go from my Window" there, and got the impression that
Sankey wasn't actually playing it on a keyboard, but rather creating the
MIDI files from score in a different way: mechanically.  (Same remarks,
vis-a-vis his Scarlatti....)  It seems metrically stiff, and I didn't
get any sense of "play", or any of the expressive irregularities that
would come from using period fingerings, or the physical gestures of
playing the instrument.

This is music that I play myself, for personal pleasure and occasionally
for harpsichord concerts, and I don't expect to return to this Sankey
set much (if at all) as a listener.  I'd expect a real recording to
offer me some musical insights and pleasures that I wouldn't get merely
looking at a score, and this isn't doing it for me.

To hear Byrd's music played well on real harpsichords, start with "My
Ladye Nevells Booke" played by Elizabeth Farr on Naxos:
http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-My-Ladye-Nevells-Booke/dp/B000REGIVE
There are many other fine recordings, as well.

Brad Lehman